30 September 2013

Heathrow, the ten hour layover

Hello everyone! I am currently going on hour seven of my epic ten-hour layover in Heathrow, and I've managed to hook myself up with 45 minutes of free internet so BLOG POST it is.

Mexico. Was awesome. There were a lot of things I really loved about it: the weather, the sun, the research, the places we went, the cheap American food and yes, you can judge me for that last one. There were also a couple things I wasn't too fond off, namely, being a walking dollar sign for everybody and constantly getting shit for being foreign. By the end, Jovanna and I had solved that first one though, mostly because we got tag-team shopping down to a science. The latter we just had to try and laugh off.

So yes. I'm happy with the research we got and really proud of ourselves for how successful we were, given the amount of roadblocks in our way. We landed in Mexico with no idea of where to go, what to do, and no help whatsoever from all the people who had promised to help us. But we got shit done, and it was awesome. I took Mexico on for the challenge, and I think I can safely say that we rose to it!

The way back has been loooooong and occasionally awkward. On the plane, I said to myself, "Well, this has been fun, but it'll be nice to go to a country that's not so xenophobic." And then, in the two hours I spent waiting for my next flight in the Dallas airport, I got harassed about my green card status, my visa, and whether I was "one of those Brazilians." All this while standing in line for American citizens. So thank you, Dallas, for confirming pretty much everything we East Coasters believe about Texas' ability to throw spontaneous racism parties. The flight to London was long, my pumpkin muffin got squished, and my in-flight entertainment was for whatever reason stuck on the Disney Channel, but it worked out. Mostly because my muffin was still awesome and the flight attendants fixed the Disney Channel, so I was happy. Yay, muffins!

Up next, a blog post about all the things that happened that we kept from our mothers. In the meantime, here, have all these pictures of us running around in Mexico. Our research tooks us to some pretty cool spots, and the other places we went to on our days off/when we were hard-core transcribing.

I fed a squirrel!


It's not an adventure if there's no shady truck ride up a mountain.

Naturally-occurring infitiny pools? Yes please.













Attack of the weird creatures!










Adios!

5 comments:

bevchen said...

Ten hours at Hetahrow? I feel for you...

Awww, squirrel!!!

Anonymous said...

Where are the crocodiles?

Anonymous said...

You went fishing??haha awesome!Can't wait to hear about how awesome your research turned out..send me an email when you are settled back in Göttingen!-Lisa

Alex, Speaking Denglish said...

Whoa that naturally occurring infinity pool was insane - what a great experience. Can't wait to hear all the stories.

And sorry you had that experience in Texas, I'll blame it on Dallas. Actually, I'll blame it on TSA officials, who let's get real, no one can say a nice thing about.

Anonymous said...

You know, I hate to say "I told you so" but...I totally told you that your muffin would still be good even if it was squished.

-Amy