12 June 2012

my FISH!

Guess what I did guess what I did guess what I did!

GOT A FISH!

I've been pining after a fish since way back when I was au pairing, because I wanted something alive in the house that a) didn't hate me, and b) wasn't a plant. However, betta fish in Germany are fiendishly expensive, like, ten dollars expensive, and I refused to pay ten dollars for something that costs three in America.  So I resigned myself to no fish.

Then, last week, I saw that a student had posted online that he had betta fish and was giving them away.  I jumped on that like an angry kangaroo on the first white man's head.  Apparently he (the student, not the unfortunate first white man in Australia) breeds them for fun, and now he has a lot of babies.  I took him up on the offer and got me a fish.  He offered me multiple babies, but I declined, mostly because I only have one bowl and if you put bettas together, it turns into the fish version of The Hunger Games.

Random sidenote, wow do Germans take their betta fish seriously.  German betta fish live like royalty, they have giant aquariums, complete with bubbles, plants, deep-sea divers, and snails bigger than they are.  In comparison, our betta fish live like whipping boys.  In fact, I doubt any of my fish's relatives have ever seen the inside of a (small) fishbowl.  If they ever come to visit, they will most certainly call the German version of the ASPCA on me.

At any rate, I've decided to name my baby betta fish after the Swedish lake monster Storsjöodjuret--thus, Storsjöodjuret, First of His Name, Supreme Lord of All That is Wet.  For short, "The Kraken."

He'll grow into it.

May the odds be ever in your favor, fish!

4 comments:

Zack said...

May death come swiftly to his enemies.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to add that to his name.

Storsjöodjuret, First of His Name, Supreme Lord of All That is Wet, May Death Come Swiftly to His Enemies.

--Tina

claire said...

well if you paid $10 a fish you would be inclined to treat it better by not attacking it with bible bread and Swedish fish!!!!!

Anonymous said...

GUESS WHAT I DID TODAY!

...I GOT A BETTA FISH!

No lie. I really did. My friends and I found him in the dollar store, except he was three dollars. He is in a fishbowl on my desk. He's red and his name is Rooster, which is kind of a long story. Not actually but I don't feel like explaining at the moment.

He's awesome, until he dies like tomorrow because I got him from a dollar store.

But for now, I love him with all my heart.

<3Amy