17 June 2013

England Da Recap: Bath, Glastonbury, Wells

Oh hey! Guess what, I'm a terrible blog-recap-posting-procrastinator! But before I get to that GUESS WHAT I GOT SHOTS. It was the most unnecessarily complicated process of my life but I finally started getting shots. Two more rabies shots to go and then I'm golden and also rabies-proof!

So finally, the beginning of the England trip recap! Surprising to no one, I got to England in the middle of the pouring rain. Surprising to everyone, however, was the following eight days of absolutely glorious weather. So glorious, we got sunburned. In England. I can hear what you're saying, and I know, that's what we said too.

Anyway, stop 1 on our fun trip: Bath!

On our first full day in England, Claire's mom took us to Bath, where we hit up an amazing cafe and I had the greatest mint hot chocolate of my life, also the second greatest hot chocolate of my life, right underneath the one I had in Paris. Then we ran around inside the cathedral and had way too much fun playing in the mirror they had set up for tourists to admire the ceiling without craning their necks.

Then came the Roman baths, which included one fun audio tour of some awesome bath-ness... 



...some imitation of statues, because that's always a requirement of these sorts of things...


...fun with silhouettes...

...and also some whispering comparing the general attractiveness of the Roman statues chilling up on the top wall.

Yes we tried some of the water being pumped out of the hot springs, no it was not delicious.

Then we ran around and saw the rest of the city which was gorgeous before meeting up with Claire's dad for dinner.


Glastonbury

Next stop, Glastonbury! Which was so, so cool! Actually kind of mind-blowing when you see what people could build without mechanical equipment. The ruins are absolutely massive and really neat. We hopped on a tour with some dude dressed up with a feather hat, and he was really entertaining. Also according to a sign in the kitchens, beavers were considered a fish.



King Arthur's supposed grave:


The kitchens:

After the ruins, we headed up the street to check out some gardens.


And then hiked up the giant hill to this piece of awesomeness:


Upon which Claire's mom took this picture which I think is super awesome:

Final stop on recap blog part I: Wells!

Which is apparently famous for it's massive cathedral:

That keeps going in one long uninterrupted building:

And keeps going, only to eventually turn into townhouses.

Straight.up awesomeness. More pictures of our other stops to follow soon!

3 comments:

Alex, Speaking Denglish said...

Whoa this really is a proper tour of England. I've only been to London, so really need to get back and explore!

Anonymous said...

I want to live in one of those townhouses.

bevchen said...

Mmmm, mint hot chocolate!! And yes, of course you can get sunburnt in England!

I've never been to any of the places in this post, but I need to because they all look amazing!