29 July 2013

The Mom Recap! Part II

More Mom stories!

Around noon on Sunday we said goodbye to Al's parents and headed back to Göttingen, but not without some minor adventures. Our goal for the day was to check out three castles on neighboring hills because why the hell not? Our first castle was actually closed, so we hit up the second one, which turned out to be this bad boy:

Small but cute!

And from the tower you could see the next castle!

The last castle was, personal opinion, not particularly nice. It was a restaurant and hotel, but sort of looked like a prison which I think it actually was at one point. We did get to climb the tower though and take funny pictures on the way up.



...yeah, still not really sure what the skeleton was.

On the way out of town, we found this super awkward monument to the local sausage museum:

To me, that looks like a lot of things, none of which is a sausage.

On Monday, it was back bee-bopping around Göttingen for us! We started with some good old fashioned wandering and a delicious waffle, then caught a bus to the local tack shop. Or tried, the bus driver didn't actually stop the bus and we wound up nearly 20km out of Göttingen. Got there eventually, though! And we found a really cool helmet I wish I wasn't too old for.


Then it was time to meet up with Al and Kiwi Friend in town to go STRAWBERRY AND RASPBERRY PICKING! Yes, you can do that here. Which is both awesome and sucky, awesome because I fucking love picking fruit, and sucky because my master plan to make millions was to introduce picking fruit to Germany but IT'S ALREADY DAMN HERE. Ah well. I've got a couple other master plans on the fire.




And yes, we ate nearly as many as we picked. Or I did, at least. Al tried one and swore he could taste the pesticide, but I think he was just chewing on sunshine and happiness.

With our crap ton of berries, it was time to make a crap ton of JAM! Because my mom can do that. We wound up with three jars of strawberry jam (for New Roommate, Al, and Kiwi Friend), one jar of strawberry/raspberry jam (for me), and extra of both which I wound up giving to the Crazy Psycho Neighbors because feed the dragon, remember? We also had so many berries left over we used up a whole roll of puff pastry in various combinations of Strawberry and Something Else Delicious to try and eat them all. And gave the neighbors a bunch. I'm proud to say we actually managed to eat 98% of the strawberries.

Tuesday was more fun times, starting with Most Epic Ice Cream Ever (the guys at the ice cream place know us at this point) because my mom was all about the brilliance that is German ice cream. 

Q: How much was that ice cream?
A: 10 euros.
Q: Feel bad about it?
A: NOPE.

Then it was off to the lake where we rented a paddle boat and paddle-boated around like idiots because paddle boating is fucking awesome, that's why.


Followed by more ice cream! Because who needs a reason?

And that was it! Wednesday we got up bright and early to take my mom to the airport, and I was really sad. Later that evening, it started hailing grape-sized stones because clearly the gods were displeased that she left. And that's the story of how my mom visited me in Germany! And the weather has sucked ever since.

Adios!

2 comments:

bevchen said...

That skeleton is creepy!!

Alex, Speaking Denglish said...

I totally just took my visitor out for ice cream, unreal experience it can be! And also laughing bc I JUST wrote about my two time strawberry picking fail haha