04 March 2013

EXCITINGNESS!

Here are some things that are scary:

--Zombies
--Zombie movies
--Zombie TV shows
--The Walking Dead
--That moment you get something you really, really want.

I have a tendency to talk about things I want like I already have them, like they're on their way but there was an accident on the Autobahn and traffic's backed up so they'll be a bit late. I supposed it's a weird cross between magical thinking and just plain stubbornness, which probably  makes me a fairy mule, but it's also pretty good way to make sure I don't get scared and back out of things. Everyone knows getting started is the hardest part, and I'm secretly terrified I'll turn into that person who always says they're going to do awesome things but finds a way not to. So completely lacking in the natural extrovertedness that makes people do cool shit, I always try to make public declarations of my plans as insurance on my pride that I'll go through with them.

Am I alone in this?  Yes?  Anyway.

In the case of my field research in Mexico, I've been talking about it like we're a done deal skipping our way over to the churro stand, but I was only half expecting it to happen. Well, today I got super super exciting news--my project got funded! Technically only partially funded but who the hell cares? One of the grants I applied for came through (in full!) which means I can officially start buying equipment and looking at plane tickets. I am both out of my mind with jubilation and absolutely fucking terrified, all in the same weird rambling monster currently swing dancing in my stomach. I have no idea what to do with myself. What am I going to do with myself?

I know. I'm going to go to goddamn Mexico on a goddamn adventure and see if I come out the other goddamn side. Possibly with a thesis, although let's be honest with ourselves, I only signed up for this to see if I could hack it.

Adventuretime Mexicoland is officially a go!

2 comments:

Alex, Speaking Denglish said...

Attagirl, just awesome!

bevchen said...

Amazing news! I'm so happy for you!

Also, the mental image of a fairy mule literally made me LOL.