08 October 2011

Things I learned today

I enjoy the fact that I never seem to stop learning over here.  Here are some new things I learned today:

1)  Germany's place in the riding ring is backwards from the American one.  In the US, if you're walking, you take the rail, and the people trotting and cantering take the inside track.  Here it's the other way around, which explains why I was getting so many dirty looks while riding in the indoor tonight.  One of my barn friends pulled me over and explained it to me, which I hugely appreciated, seeing how as a general rule no one explains shit here, they just yell at you.

2)  King-sized beds are, in Germany, made up of two twin-sized beds placed right next to each other on a king-size mattress frame.  At first I thought this was only in my family, but then I asked Host Mom.  Apparently it's the norm because it's healthier.  What I want to know is how sex works if you're sleeping on two mattresses, but that's not a question I felt like posing to Host Mom.

In other news, I've been getting recognized by total strangers as "that girl in the paper" left and right, which is kind of freaking me out because I didn't think anyone actually read the paper.  Now the whole TOWN thinks I'm obsessed with this nougat-cream shit.  Sigh.  I find the entire situation awesomely hilarious, so much so I can't take it seriously.

Appropriately, this is my new favorite song.  Most likely, Death Cab is referring to normal beds with normal, undivided mattresses:


Meeting for ice cream tomorrow with fellow couchsurfers in the area...hooray!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have the other girl come see you ride so she learns a thing or two about handling a horse like this one. Has owner had baby yet?

Anonymous said...

yes! She had the baby last saturday, a little girl!

--Tina

Mugambismonkey said...

I can explain the 2-bed thing. According to German popular believe one should select one's personal mattress according to one's body weight and specifications, so that one may sleep as comfortable as imaginably possible. Since a couple usually doesn't have the same height / weight, each person has his/her own mattress, taylored to their specific sleeping requirements. Germans usually try to optimize the hell out of everything, even out of sleeping!

Mugambismonkey said...

P.S. Sex usually takes place on one of the two mattresses (or optionally in the park, kitchen, shower, garage, car wash, garden, cemetery... according to one's personal preferences (e.g. if you're a goth, you'd love to try the cemetery once in a while) and/or weather conditions).

Anonymous said...

FYI - In the US you should also stay to the inside while walking and allow the riders trotting/cantering to have the rail. This should explain why I've been giving you dirty looks and people have been side eyeing you at horse shows for years. ;p

Anonymous said...

thank you for that, Dirk!

LG!
Tina