12 October 2011

Three ways I have changed since moving to Germany

Every so often I get to thinking on this particular topic, and whatever shit goes down in my head usually winds up making it on here.  So, Tina presents...

THREE WAYS I HAVE CHANGED SINCE MOVING TO GERMANY!

1)  I eat better.
This is not actually by choice, it's just because my family is all into the organic-movement, which means that when I get hungry throughout the day, I have to snack on raisins and yogurt.  But I guess, all things considered, it's a plus.  Also, how did I go through 23 years of my life without realizing how delicious raisins are?

2)  I'm in better shape.
Not that I was ever in bad shape--I think compared to your average American, six to seven days of riding a week put me above average on the fitness level.  But I've packed on like five pounds of muscle since arriving here, or at least, five pounds of what I am pretty sure is muscle.  My clothes still fit, and I did seventeen miles on my bike today without elevating my heart rate.  That means muscle, right?

...or I could just be fat.

3)  I'm more direct.
Not German direct yet, but I'm getting there.  I've started having to proofread emails and Facebook comments for American rudeness.  Also, I've stopped saying 'I'm sorry', but only because you can't slide it in as easily in German as you can in English.
  
In a fit of patriotism, I decided the charge and I were going to CARVE PUMPKINS OR DIE, even though carving pumpkins isn't big here.  This involved hunting down pumpkins at the local outdoor market, and then hacking away at them with butcher knives, seeing as how pumpkin carving kits are unheard of.  Well, I hacked, he painted.  Here are the finished products:
For the record, my pumpkin was supposed to be French, not a victim of bad plastic surgery.

Also...I'm in the newspaper again?  Nobody, including the original author, knew that when we opened up the paper, we would find this:

It's not actually about me, it's just about au pairing in general, but they used my pictures.  Hooray!  Yet another day of "Did I see you in the paper yesterday?"
That's all I got.  Singing lessons start up tomorrow, so HOORAY FOR THAT!  Also, the Epic Sweden Trip with Marina is coming up, next weekend!  YAY FUN THINGS!

Also, here's a video of my charge bouncing around on bubblewrap.  Sometimes, it's useful to have an American au pair.  And a mother who sends you bubble-wrapped mugs that say "I'm not yelling, I'm Portuguese."

That's all I got friends!  Adios!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

matti is too adorable! although i have to admit, i got bubble wrap to bring my mug back to school, and i put it on the floor and started jumping around on it and my roommate laughed at me. story of my life.

-Amy <3