10 April 2012

Happy (slightly belated) German Easter

I was so hung up on the German Whine, I forgot to tell you about the German Easter!

Sunday Roomate's mom came to visit, so we celebrated Easter by going out to lunch and then running around the city for a bit.  We checked out the botanical gardens, ate black vanilla ice cream (which exists? and is delicious), and even found the university's anthropology building.  Which is terrifying to behold, and from all outward appearances, represents the crowning architectural achievements of the Nazis. Stark? Check.  Foreboding?  Check?  Inspires an inappropriate amount of Nazi jokes?  Is this me we're talking about?  Double check.

Roommate took a picture of me in front of it, which I'm posting here just so you guys know in which direction to point the SWAT team.  I'm legit worried I'll go in and never come back out--look at those doors, you know I wouldn't be the first.  So if you haven't seen me in a while, and the last place I said I was going was anthro class, accept the terrible truth that I have probably been eaten by Nazi zombies, or whatever heiling creatures of the night it is that would hide in this building's fascist closets.  And then move on with your lives.  Name your firstborn after me, and be happy.

After we all got back to the apartment, I headed off again to meet up with Galway and the Kiwi at a cafe.  We hung out for a bit, then met up with the two Bulgarian girls in their dorm to eat girl scout cookies (not Bulgarian) and potatoes and salad (very Bulgarian).  From there, it was off to the Easter bonfire, which was ridiculously massive and completely lacking in basic safety cautions, like a barrier to keep people from throwing themselves in the flames.  We found German Mountain Man, then all went back to the Kiwi's place and decided to watch another New Zealand movie.  This time around we saw Boy, about a Maori kid in the eighties who meets his dad for the first time.  Trailer!


It's hilarious, awkward, and ends with the entire cast doing a "Thriller" inspired haka, which is AMAZEballs.


If you get a chance, watch it, you will not be disappointed.

My two days of orientation start tomorrow, and I am even less excited about this than I was about going to a Bolivian hospital in the middle of the night, and that time involved vomiting up copious amounts of bile.  I've been hearing reports and testimony from a bunch of people, all of whom swear it's an amazing time, but there's an uncomfortable amount of overlap between the German definition of "an amazing time" and my definition of "hazing."  All I know is, the first person to suggest I take my clothes off will have the contents of their cranium rearranged with whatever non-lethal instrument I grab first.  If they're lucky, maybe that non-lethal instrument will even have a point to it.  

7 comments:

Roommate said...

You still got your nerf gun, don't you? ;-)

Anonymous said...

YOU'RE GOING TO BE FINE!! good luck <3

Zack said...

Congratulations, you have now found the single greatest video on the internet. We held a mass viewing at the help desk yesterday, and I may be forcing my students to watch this on Friday.

Tina! said...

Is it AWESOME? I think I've watched it like 20 times, it still makes me smile.

bevchen said...

Black vanilla icecream? Wow..

Tina! said...

Exactly what I said, especially once I saw it had Milchreis in it. I ate it, and I liked it, but I don't know if I'd do it again.

Anonymous said...

Add a few pots with flowers and that building will look very charming. Did you look inside to see if there are zombies walking around?