05 April 2012

I have a bike! And other stories.

The amazing news of the day is that I have a bike.  As I mentioned before, the lady who lives under me offered me hers if it fit me, because she can't ride it anymore and she doesn't want it just sitting in the basement.  And that's how I got a 300 dollars bike for 65 dollars.

Here, have a picture!


Sexy, right?

My original plan was to spend max 200 dollars on a bike, basket, and accessories, but since I've gone and gotten the bike and basket(s!?) for so little, I've decided to splurge on the locks.  There's no way I'm letting this thing get stolen, and as I learned the last time I lived in a city, bolting the bike to the ground doesn't guarantee someone won't make off with it.  So...I'm bolting it down twice.  In fact, I plan on spending more on locks than I did on the bike.  My hope of hopes is that one day, in a dark alley, some guy with a hacksaw, a blowtorch, and a screwdriver will come across a row of bikes, and say to himself, "Well, not only am I in a dark alley with a hacksaw, a blowtorch, and a screwdriver, I'm in the mood to steal a bike.  I think I'll take the silver one...wait...what's thi--it can't be!...TWO locks!?  There are TWO locks!?  Alas, my nefarious plans have been thwarted!  CURSES upon the owner of this bike!  A POX on her head!  A PLAGUE on both her locks!  WINTER IS COMING KILL THE KING."

Apparently, the thieves in my brain only steal bikes after a Game of Thrones marathon.

In case you were wondering, the reason I haven't bought the locks yet is because I mashed up my American and German pin numbers too many times, and locked my German card out of the system.  It's not worth fixing, because my bank account is in limbo anyway.  The Göttingen branch is sending me a new card, the (new) pin number of which I already have.  So basically, I have seven euros to last me until the new card shows up and I can take money out again...and a four-day bank holiday standing in between me and the new card.

The day before yesterday, Roommate had a friend over.  He biked eighty miles to come visit, which blows my mind, and I give him major points for devotion to the cause.  Highly, highly impressed.  We played Dominion until four-thirty in the morning, and when I say "played," I mean they played, I held up my cards and said "what ze fuck help me."  Yesterday we went to a cafe and discussed abortion, Downs syndrome, and what happens when overeducation does too much organic coke off hand-sanded barnwood (also known as, The Invention Of The Hippie Kindergarten). When the conversation turned to theories of the afterlife, my ability to participate was effectively over, but it was super interesting and I learned lots of new words!

Speaking of new words, Roommate and I are taking Portuguese together, and I'm also signing up for Swedish.  My new life plan is to, over the next two years, effectively double the amount of languages I speak.  How's that for overcompensation?  Don't ever let your children forget their native tongues, they might turn into me.

In other news, classes start soon, and from minute to minute I oscillate between being really excited (classes should start right now!) and being absolutely terrified (I would rather skin myself with alive a bottle-opener, and whose idea was this again?).  I also just got the schedule for my orientation--it includes a lot of communal meals, meeting people, and ends with a party.  And even though the thought of being social for fourteen hours in German sends me into paralyzing fits of bone-crushing anxiety, I know objectively that if someone does not physically put "make friends with the other people in your program" on my schedule, I won't do it.  That doesn't stop me from being horribly, horribly anxious about it.  Oh god, what if they hate foreigners?

They're anthropology students, they can't hate foreigners.

This might actually be fun!

I'm going to die.

I'm going to die.

I am actually going to die.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

eventually you will die most likely of syphilis but until then you're not actually going to die unless your syphilis gets incredibly worse which is totally possible so you might want to see a dr and/or stop being such a whore bag

Puddinghaut said...

Congrats, the bike looks awesome! As to the lock, try the Kryptonite New York Lock (or something alike). Forget all the wire locks, they are too easy to break. :-)