28 July 2011

Au Pair Fail

So today the charge and I went to the supermarket to pick up some strawberries for today's sophomore attempt at fruit leather.  Long trip to the hippie conference tomorrow, so I figured fruit leather would make a good snack.  While we were there, we picked up some ice cream.  They were all out of Gone with the Wind ice cream, so I went with the second choice; vanilla-orange ice cream with chocolate pieces in cherry sauce.

Once we got home, host mom had to head off to a conference, so the child and I decided to celebrate his not-screaming with some of the newly-bought ice cream.  I scooped us each a bowl, and we dug in.

Halfway through my bowl, I said to myself, "With my spidey sense, I detect a strange taste.  If I didn't know better, I would say there was alcohol in this ice cream.  But that would be impossible, because I bought this in the supermarket and it was sitting next to the fruit pops.  Nothing that sits next to fruit pops can have alcohol in it."  But just to be safe, I pulled the ice cream back out of the freezer to double check.  And there I saw these words: Vanilla-Orange Ice Cream with Chocolate Pieces in Sherry Sauce." 

I gaped at the ice cream mutely for a few seconds, before I remembered the two-year old. Horrified, I looked up, just as he triumphantly slapped his bowl on the table and screamed "MORE ICE CREAM!"  He was so enthusiastic about the fact that I'd just fed him alcohol-laced ice cream that he threw his spoon at me.

Au pair fail.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha...i think it's kind of a win. why do these things only happen to you...

-your beautiful sister

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha, Tina-chan, I got yer letter today, and had forgotten ye refer to the kid as "the charge." So I wasn't sure if I was reading the letter right. But now I am, and that story was effin hilarious!

Cordially,
The Evil God of the Fire Cloud

Tina! said...

Dear Evil God of the Fire Cloud,

The first thing I thought when this event occurred was "I am the worst person ever." The second was "I have to tell Chris RIGHT NOW." And that's the truth.

Love,
Tina

Anonymous said...

How much of the ice cream would you have to eat to get drunk? :-) I'd say give it to the charge if he wants it!!

--Dirk