13 July 2011

From the Bucket List

4)  Start a n English language SILLY BANDZ trend.  Check!


The kids at the daycare are highly entertained by mine, but they don't exist in Germany.  With the possible exception of the international airport, where Favorite Six Year Old spotted them yesterday, and had such a freak-out, her mom bought a pack for her and her sister.  And now all the kids at the kindergarten want them


I am proud of myself.


In other news, today I learned that somehow, in all my years of childcare, I missed the crucial lesson called How To Deal With Small Boys, because I've really only taken care of girls.  Today I took the charge over to his friend's house, and watched children while the friend's mother packed things.  My charge's friend has a seven-year-old brother, who was pretty reserved until I started kicking a soccer ball around and pretending like I didn't know he was paying attention.  And then we were best friends, and I was applauding my own wit and charm, until:


At one point all four of us were up in the attic--each child was occupying himself differently, and I was just sort of chilling out on the rug--when suddenly, the Fates deemed that all three children would desperately my require my individual attention, at the exact same time. The next thing I knew, I had one child screaming to read him a book, one loudly explaining the inner workings of his ghost-pirate Lego set, and one chucking packing peanuts at my head while hollering "It's snowing!  It's snowing!"


I was not prepared.  But I was also highly, highly entertained.  

1 comment:

Mugambismonkey said...

What's a "ghost-pirate Lego set"? I'm sure these didn't exist when I was a kid!