21 September 2011

Friedhelm, Evangelists and IIGOIIG Round 5

Hello hello!

Nothing major or terribly shocking has happened to me since Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus, so here are some minor things you might find entertaining:

I met up with Friedhelm last night, also known as The Only Person To Call Me From My Friends-Wanted Sign In The Library Even Though All The Numbers Have Been Torn Off.  And, to be perfectly honest, I was a little apprehensive about this meeting, because Friedhelm was so goddamned German about the entire process, it made me want to call in sick.  He emailed me a detailed biography, plus the websites for his feed inspection company, plus different websites about his various hobbies.  It was almost like he was applying for a job, except I've never had anyone apply to be my friend before.  Which I also don't consider a job.

At any rate, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Friedhelm, despite his anal website-sending tendencies, might actually be the happiest, most pleasant, and most overly friendly German over the age of 25 I've ever met ever.  It was a super good time. We discussed lots of things, like how american politics are stupid, and how american politics are stupid.  I do, however, kind of get the vibe that's he's looking for a wife, which is a little freaky considering his oldest child is only five years younger than I am. Urgh.  Well.  It'll be okay.

While flipping through channels, somehow the host parents and I wound up watching the last part of Jesus Camp, which prompted a discussion of American evangelists vs. German evangelists.  Things I was surprised to discover: the evangelists are the liberal church here, not the church you're pretty sure God wouldn't mind you firebombing.  At first, I assumed that if the evangelists were the liberal ones, that must mean all the other churches are actually agents of the devil, or at least the Tea Party, but no.  Host Mom is friends with one couple, both of whom are evangelical preacher/pastor/reverend thingies.  They lived together before they got married, are all about pre-marital sex, and drink alcohol.

And now...

Is It Gay or Is It German Round 5!

The painter working on our house had Rihanna blasting from his ipod yesterday, and this was followed in quick succession by Journey.  I already know the answer to the conundrum, but allow yourselves to be tested.  The only American men I know who listen to Rihanna are also fond of spiky sunglasses and dressing like women, but this is Europe.  You never know.  What do you guys thing?

Favorite song of the day!  I don't think you get this on American radio, but she's from New Zealand, where it rains all the time, thus why she never has dry hair:


That's all I got.  Adios amigos!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep...he's looking for a wife!

Anonymous said...

i'm calling it, straight. i know guys that like rihanna that aren't even in europe.

-amy <3

Mugambismonkey said...

I also think Friedhelm tried to apply as a husband. *lol*
(I'm impressed through, at his age I wouldn't expect e-mails, websites, and such but the usual old-fashioned love letter. :-) )