16 May 2008

Why am I the only person with my clothes still on?

Wow, FOUR months of blogging! And I totally thought I'd get bored after like, two weeks!

So yesterday I went out behind the Sporthalle so sit out in the sun and read. This old lady turned around, and somewhere in the back of my mind, it got noted that she was naked. Then ten minutes later a french chick came along, laid down in the grass, and pulled her top off. Which effectively left me the only person within a 50 meter radius wearing clothes.

Later yesterday while Fabio and I were baking Schwarzwalde Kirschtorte, I related the story and got laughed at for my prude american-ness. Then I got detailed stories about naked German adventures that I apparently have to have, and just for the record, I don't know what all the other exchange students are doing, but personally, the clothes are staying on. Alles klar.

Today Marina and I headed over to Hungarian Friend's apartment, because she decided to have a goulash (sp?) party. Lots of fun, I got to help make the gulash (sp?), and Hungarian Friend made us all try some crazy Hungarian schnapps thing that she swore wasn't strong (because she'd put honey in it), when in actuality is tasted like honey-flavored acid (and I hid my 3/4 full shot glass behind the plant). Also, I made new friends from Lithuania, Sweden, Germany, insert more eastern european countries here. The ghoulash (sp?) came out awesome. I've decided I'm just going to spell gulaeshe as many ways as I can think to, and hopefully one of them will be right.

Gulaesch.

Anyway, what was really kind of amusing about the goloush party, was me and another american girl were discussing how it completely blows German people's minds when they realize that as an American you have indeed learned a second language. Like it just goes against everything they've ever learned about the states, and it totally makes their heads spin hilariously, even if it does get really annoying after awhile. You can pretty much count on the conversation going like this:

German: So where are you from?
American: The U.S.
German: *Wide eyed* But you speak German!
American: Yeah, that's true.
German: *Bug eyed* But where did you learn it?
American: In school.
German: *Anime eyed* You can learn German in your schools?
American: Yeah.
German: *Head explodes*

So Other American Girl and I were laughing and making fun of it (in German), when two German guys walked in. After rounds of introductions, the two of us started talking to the two of them, and wouldn't you know how the conversation went:

German Guy: So, where are you guys from again?
Me: We're from the U.S.
German Guy: *Wide eyed* But you speak German!
Other American Girl: JESUS CHRIST, we were just talking about this! YES! We speak German!
German Guy: *Bug eyed* But where did you learn it?
Us: Like in high school and college.
German Guy: *Anime eyed* You can learn German in your schools?
Us: Yeah.
German Guy: *Head explodes*
OAG: So...who else saw that one coming?
Me: I'm not cleaning it up.


So, that's about all that's interesting on my end. Peace out amigos, adios!

EDIT: I was right the first time! It's goulash!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

....because you are not german!

Anonymous said...

Which effectively left me the only person within a 50 meter radius wearing clothes.

Have you heard of the expression which starts with "When in Rome..."?

-- Bruce :)

Unknown said...

TINA! you're so lame, take your top off!!!