18 July 2008

America Triumphs!

I had my visit in Tuebingen today! Had to get up at 6.00 AM in order to get there on time, but I did it. The teacher took me out to breakfast and showed me a bit of the city first, and then we went to class. I totally thought the 16 year old kids wouldn't be interested in the least, but surprisingly, they asked questions pretty much non-stop for the whole hour and a half that I was there. And they spoke really good English!

Some of the questions were surprisingly educated (How do you feel about Barack Obama coming to Berlin and speaking at the Brandenburger Tor, even though our chancellor doesn't want him to?). Most of them were pretty ordinary (What's your favorite German food? Is there anything that makes people from New Jersey different from the rest of the US? What's your favorite movie? Are there any differences between the east and west coast of America?) And a few of the questions were just plain weird (How do you feel coming from America, and knowing that all of your companies use childlabor?)

Uhhh...

Okay, funny incident. Story goes:

Girl (same girl who asked about the childlabor): So, do you guys have any bad words for foreigners?
Tina: Well, yes, but they're not very nice. I don't really think I should teach them to you.
Girl: Pleeeeease...pleeeeeease...pleeeeease can you teach us?
Other students: Yeah! Yeah! What are they, teach us!
Tina: Umm...
Teacher: Go on, teach them.
Tina: Well, there's like...fob.

So that's how a whole slew of teenage germans learned "fresh off the boat" today, courtesy of Tina. Please don't judge me.

The best part was the teacher came up to me later and apologized for Weird Questions Girl. She said "Try not to take her too seriously, she's really weird like that."

Then, at the end of class, the teacher gave me gift basket, with a bunch of different food products in it and a University of Tuebingen T-Shirt. It pretty much made my day when she said "Well, I didn't know what size you were...and you're American...so I got you an extra large." The shirt pretty much comes down to my knees, but it was SO AWESOME.

I survived German teenagers!

Adios amigos!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha, my favorite part was about the t-shirt...=P

still laughing,
amy

Gen.Lutz said...

FOB... Remind me never to fear getting into an argument with you...If thats all your packing LOL good story.

Anonymous said...

Tina,

When you get back, you have to find a way to publish this written material, pictures, comments etc.
The title as you have it - is perfect. Profits to go out to a fund the German Department at Rutgers to sponsor a "study abroad" student.

You got something here that is very funny mixed well with your great american humor - (you did not inherit it from mom or dad) colored with so many experiences.

Go for it!

Dad

Anonymous said...

why would she give the profits to fund some random kid to go to germany?! HELLO! I think after blowing all of her money in germany she'll need some of those profits...=P

with love,
amy