01 November 2011

I need your help!

So, in Germany, you require a minor for a masters degree, just like you do in the US for a bachelor's.  For anthropology, I have a choice of a ton of cool-sounding minors, my favorites of which I am listing here so you guys can help me decide.

Anthro-geography
Economic and social history
Gender research
Culture/European anthropology (...one and the same?)
Linguistic anthropology and ancient american studies (also one and the same?)
Musicology
Scandinavian studies

I'm kind of leaning towards the last one, because a) I've never done it before, b) it sounds like I have to learn Swedish, and c) we've already established that Sweden is now a requirement for my future personal happiness.  But then again, musicology sounds super awesome, and completely unlike anything ever, plus I like music.  But then there's this bizarre, but interesting, combination of linguistic anth and native america studies.  What I'm trying to say is, I DON'T FUCKING KNOW.  Help me people.

EDIT:  I did research, and musciology sounds boring as shit.  So it's down between the Skandies (and I would be required to learn Swedish!) and the linguistic one.  Which would involve me further specializing in either linguistic anthropology or mesoamerica, but there was also something in there about preserving languages, and that gets my anthropology bones all hot and bothered.

EDIT EDIT:  Yeah, I decided, Scandinavian studies.  But you have until tomorrow to convince me to change my mind.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:  I don't fucking know.  Help me people!

7 comments:

Zack said...

Damn, musicology would've definitely been my first choice. Go for the linguistic anthro! Or don't. I haven't decided for you yet.

Tina! said...

the musicology one doesn't actually involve making music yourself, it involved in dept research into music between the 16th and 18th centuries. hence the boring as shit part, otherwise it would have been my first choice!

Pueo said...

You know you want to learn Swedish. If you can call it research and apply it to your Master's? Double Win! I am very happy for you and wish you all the best!

bbycrts said...

The linguistic anthropology sounds fabulouso! Besides...if you study Scandinavia too hard maybe some of the lustre will come off. Keep it shiny and special for yourself!

Anonymous said...

Linguistics...it is more flexible. Scandinavian studies is too specific.

Anonymous said...

logical amy says linguistics. entertaining amy says OOOH SCANDINAVIAN STUDIES. THEY HAVE PRETTY BOYS IN SWEDEN.

Anonymous said...

Having taken a course in linguistic anthropology, I can offer the following insights into the field:

Although the course I took was one of the worst I took at Rutgers (the teacher was awful), it's some pretty cool stuff - it looks at stuff like does the use of the word 'balls' to mean courage mean that our concept of courage is masculine?

LInguists can't write. Seriously, linguistic texts are the densest, most convoluted and absolutely obnoxious readings I have ever had to do. You would think people who study language would first be required to master its use, but unfortunately this is not true, and apparently the academic study of language makes one so concerned about abstract stuff that they forget what little they did know.

So as interesting as studying the loss of languages in the americas sounds, I have to say I recommend avoiding any minor that will require you to read these texts at all, let alone in a foreign tongue.

Of course, that being said, I know people who actually like linguistic studies.... so maybe some people find it worthwhile.

Patricia