12 March 2008

Starving Children

Two entries in one day! You lucky bastards.

Story of the day:

One of the really funny things about how international our language group is how much of our own cultures we have to explain to each other. There have been so many cultural misunderstandings and explanations, it's pretty funny. Like the other day (not such a good example), Alex got us all excited because we thought there was another girl from Iceland in our group. Turns out he got confused the German pronunciation of Iceland and Estonia (Island versus Estland, eesland vers aasland), but it was amusing, mostly because the first thing we said was "...But what will we call her?" Or like Friday (better example), Erin and I had to explain to Iceland, Alex, Michael, Bilge and a few others what guidos were. Or like tonight, when we had to detail for Brady (who's Chinese), what a bootycall was. Shotty not having to explain donkey punching.

Anyway, today at lunch, Bilge or someone pointed out that I had gotten alot of food, but really hadn't eaten much, and I said "I really should eat this, there are starving children in China." Then I stopped, thought about it, and said "do you guys have any sort of phrase like that where you come from?" Bilge said "In Turkey we say 'There are starving children in Africa.'" Sungmi (who's South Korean) said, "Where I'm from, we say there are starving children in North Korea." Which I found immensely funny.

Maybe? Kind of sort of? Surely other people see the humor in this? Maybe you had to be there.

Anyway, gute Nacht

Oh! And just for the record! Angel Butt Wings from the Ukraine is NOT gay. I didn't ask, but then again, I didn't need to.

No comments: