26 April 2008

Monica Lewinsky

Can we talk about this? Can we discuss how I got assigned to do an oral presentation on Bill Clinton's sex buddy to a class of native German speakers? Can someone shoot me in the face now and get in over with?

Laugh at me all you want, but american culture gets torn to shreds in the class, which makes for a really awkward hour and a half of me twitching in my chair and praying no one asks where I'm from. How about, instead of Monica, I do an impromptu change of topic to something like the Third Reich, and watch you all squirm? I just might.

In other news, the Autobahn is really not all it's cracked up to be; sort of like the Jersey Turnpike but faster and cleaner.

Nothing much new, we all went out to Latino's tonight, which is this bar/resturaunt thing with really kickass nachos. It's supposed to be Mexican food, but considering the German love of culinary products blander than air, the hottest foods here tend to be spiced with salt. Which doesn't make for very mexican Mexican, but I, however, love this country.

Weekend is gearing up to be pretty sweet, complete with picnics, circuses, Italian/American cook-fests, and Greek Orthodox Easter. I don't get it either, but Marina says she'll give us Greek food. I'm down.

Adios!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dare I ask *how* Monica Lewinsky became a topic in your class?

-Jennifer

Tina! said...

It's a sociology of scandals class :/

Unknown said...

Hmmmmm, I'd almost say I'd rather do a report on Jennifer Flowers because she was at least passably hot, but the Monica Lewinsky scandal can be fun for the sheer absurdity of it. I say you take it, and you make up as many crazy facts about it as you can. Like that in addition to Monica, Bill Clinton was also carrying on affairs with Mr. T and Jenna Jameson. They won't be able to tell you're lying.

Sam said...

I seriously think you should put some effort into this one and expose the scandal for what it was: a frivolous distraction perpetuated by:
1. The media, because everyone knows you can make a good buck off of scandal
2. The right, because lets face it, when your enemy slips up you ALWAYS capitalize, even when its irrelevant.

Elevate this beyond the typical depiction of Clinton as a sex-crazed president. Expose it as a political tool and a money-making media ploy, and maybe they won't tokenize Americans so much.