24 April 2008

Prozac/New Friends/Aikido

Lots of stuff happened today!

So today started out pretty crappy. I have way too much free time for my own good, so I decided to find another class to take, and I found a cool translation course that sounded interesting. But when I went today, the professor was like “Is there anyone here who missed the first class?” I raised my hand and he started flipping out and yelling at me. Someone needs a nap, I think, or some Prozac. Anyway, Prozac Professor eventually made me write down my email address, and told me if he had room he’d email me. Which he did, but only to tell me I couldn’t take the class. Thanks.

Then on the bus, I was sitting next to this girl with a British flag sewn onto her purse. "Oh," I said, "are you from England?" "No," she said, "but God knows it's better than an American flag." And then, of course, she asked, "So where are you from?" Oh Fuck. "America." *long pause* "Oh. Sorry." She pretty much teleported off the bus, she was gone that fast.

Then, as I was biking to aikido, this random girl stopped me and asked if I knew where the Sporthalle was. I told her I was going too, so we went together, and established we were both going for aikido. Yay another new friend! She’s Russian, born in Kazakhstan (neat!), and speaks Russian, German, English and Portuguese. Crazy, the cool friends I make.

Anyway, aikido:
Dear all the martial artists I know,
Chris, Jen, Bruce, Zack, and is there anyone else I know who’s reading this that does martial arts? I could really use some advice, so help me out. Which is worse, doing no aikido or questionable aikido for the next few months? I think part of the problem is I went in with such high expectations, assuming the group I found would be the German equivalent of the group back in the US, and it’s a pretty far cry away, it’s not even on the same playing field. In fact, if the group in the US is playing the major leagues on Wrigley Field, the group in Germany is third graders playing on a dirt lot behind the elementary school with one glove, no bases, and a tennis ball. Or something.

Verdict 1: German aikido men are total and complete pansies.

Verdict 2: The aikido looks (to me) kind of flowery—there was lots of bringing your attacker around your entire body twice before doing anything, standing on your toes and doing weird backbends. I don’t understand, but I’m so desperate to do something, but is it worth it? I don’t know. Half the problem is I suck and I don't know what I'm doing

Verdict 3: The sensei seems okay, but as Russian Friend and I were biking back, she said “Can I tell you something? I’m not a huge fan of the sensei.” “Yeah,” I said, “I got weird vibes too.” “I think it’s something spiritual,” she said, “but whatever it is, it feels pretty fundamental, and it’s definitely lacking.” “I have no idea about anything,” I said, “but I do think I know what you’re talking about.” It doesn’t feel like there’s any intent behind anything he does. Anyway, I have no idea, I’m too new to really know what’s going on, what do you guys think? Should I go once or twice, and then see how I feel? Am I just not being open to new teaching styles? Russian Friend said she’s heard there’s an aikido dojo in Kreuzlingen, maybe we'll check them out first before we make any decisions. But if somebody who knows what they're talking about could help out the stupid newbie, that would be awesome.

Final Verdict: Sorely disappointed.

On a positive note, we have oven racks again. Here’s to hoping no other kitchen appliances are subjected to CR’s random acts of charity.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hmm...regarding that particular Aikido sensei, would you happen to know his affiliation? Because not only are there different styles of Aikido (Aikikai, Doshinkan, Kokikai, etc), there also sub-organizations within those major styles. And to make things even *more* confusing, there are also "independent" schools that claim no affiliation to any major organization.

During the course of my training, I've attended classes and seminars at seven different dojos (not including my "home dojo" or Summer Camp). Although they are all "Aikikai", they were *not* all part of the USAF - and many of those instructors had distinct teaching styles. Bear in mind too that the students will reflect their teacher. If the students have poor Aikido (despite having a skilled teacher), then something is getting lost in the course of the teaching.

In potential defense of the "wimpy German aikido-ka", perhaps they were "going easy" on your because of your relative newness? An experienced aikido-ka will train within his/her partner's ability.

In any case, it also wouldn't hurt to check out other dojos. And don't ignore your intuition either.

Sorry for the long response. Good luck with your search!

-Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Whoops...make that *eight* dojos. I forgot about New York Aikikai. Went there for their WAY crowded Christmas seminar last December...think about training in a crowded room; didn't really get any good training that day...

-Jennifer

Tina! said...

It was aikikai, and I was only watching, I wasn't training, but I have no idea

Anonymous said...

IMHO, martial arts schools in general come in three basic flavors: good, dangerous, and clueless. Most fall into the third category, and it sounds like the one you visited qualifies. Your school in NJ falls into the first. So this is a good lesson for you b/c you realize how good your school in NJ is. Thus, you will appreciate the school all the more. Believe me, I sorely miss my aiki-jujutsu school in Dallas.

The schools to really avoid are the dangerous ones. By that I mean those where you can get injured b/c the students and/or teachers are being mean to each other, i.e. beating each other up. Or worse, they're beating up the juniors. Remember, you are loaning your body to these people, and you only have one. You're young and heal quickly, but don't risk it.

Should you stay or should you go? If there's another dojo to visit, then explore. There's no harm in that. Admittedly, it's more of an American thing (and not Japanese) to shop for a martial arts school, but I'm ok with that. Also, you're not in this for the long haul, so if you spend a few months in a clueless aikido school which has no understanding of kuzushi or irimi, there's little loss. Those can be taught later w/o unteaching anything. You can still work on what's important to you--ukemi, posture, zanchin. I'd be more hesitant if we were talking about a year.

Finally, listen to that inner voice. If you have weird vibes from sensei b/c he has no intent, that's one thing. Looks can be very deceiving sometimes. (Geez..I sound like Jen there!) If your vibes are scary vibes, i.e. he's a creep, he's endangering his ukes, that sort of thing, then don't go. The first lesson of martial arts, be it aikido, karate, judo, jujutsu, is to protect yourself. This applies even before you step onto the mat.

Hope that helps.
--Bruce

Anonymous said...

...here is some professional advice: your gut is your best friend- listen to it...if something does not feel safe...it most likely isn't!

Unknown said...

Has Russian friend trained in Aikido at all? Worse comes to worse you could always train with her, teach her Shinkage Ryu so you can work on that, shower together, whatever. I'd say maybe watch the class once or twice more, but as someone else said, if your gut's telling you something hinky is up with the guy, then it may be best to steer clear. At least you found a prospective budo buddy.

- Your Sublime Padishah Emperor
Christopher I deMonch